A significant number of people suffer from a heightened sensitivity to solvents and to petroleum products, including fragrances. These chemicals can act as respiratory irritants, cardiac stimulants and neurotoxins. Persons with MCS may go limp or lose consciousness as a result of oxygen deprivation during an exposure. Some people develop skin rashes from contact with perfume.
Please understand that this is not a preference issue -- it is a serious health issue.
Even small amounts of scented or toxic products such as those in deodorant, shampoo, lotions, and clothing can add up quickly to intolerable amounts in a roomful of people. Chemically sensitive people do not have the ability to detox from the chemicals they are exposed to and are poisoned by amounts thought to be safe for others.
- Do not wear perfume, cologne, or aftershave
- Do not use hair spray, fabric softener or dandruff shampoo -- even the unscented varieties can trigger reactions in chemically-sensitive people because they contain toxic products.
- Use a fragrance-free laundry detergent for the clothes you wear, and do not use fabric softener.
- Wherever possible choose “fragrance-free” versions of personal products such as deodorant, shampoo, and hand lotion.
Note: “Unscented” products are not as safe as those labeled “fragrance-free”
- “Natural” scents all contain some toxic products used in processing and can be respiratory irritants or neurotoxins in their own right. Some are fine, some are not, so it’s best to avoid them
Here are some safe products you may want to try:
- Deodorant: crystal salts, Tom’s of Maine, Le Stick, baking soda or just take a shower
- Shampoo and Conditioner: Pure Essentials,Organio Essence, Magick Botanicals, Sukesha Hair Gel or hair spray: Aloe Vero 80
- Shaving Cream: Kiss my Face fragrance-free. Or use scent-free soap. Or use an electric shaver.
- Hand and Body Lotion: Grannies (available at the PCC) Trader Joe’s, Alba Botanical.
- Coconut oil: Avoid those which are cold-cream based, even if fragrance-free
- Hand soap: PCC hockey puck-shaped fragrance-free bar, Neutrogena glycerine fragrance-free soap. Dr. Bronner’s Baby Castile liquid soap. Seventh Generation pump bottle
- Laundry soap: Ecover, Country Save, Planet. Baking soda removes fragrances from clothes. Please avord fabstc softener. It doesn*t wash out and is extremely toxic.